Our mission is to preserve and celebrate the history of Greene and Dreher Townships and the people who lived here, and to assure that their legacy is passed on to future generations.
History of the Greene-Dreher Historical Society
The Greene-Dreher Historical Society was founded in 1980 by journalist, author, and community historian Peggy Bancroft. With just fifteen charter members, the goal of the organization was to preserve the history of the area and share what they learned with others through their programs and publications. They began conducting research and interviewing long-time residents and, as stories about the past came to light, they launched a quarterly journal, The Greene Hills of Home, which was published from 1984 through 2020. In 1985 they opened a “Room of History” in Greentown to display their small but growing collection of artifacts. When that space became unavailable, the group set its sights on the former meeting hall of the Patriotic Order Sons of America, Washington Camp 422 in South Sterling. In 2006, through the generosity of benefactor George Stone, the Society acquired the historic 100-year-old building. The original root cellar on the property was restored, and a small barn was built on the grounds to house agricultural equipment and implements from local farms. Named in honor of its founder, Peggy Bancroft Hall serves today as the Society’s meeting place, museum and venue for a variety of educational programs and community events. With more than 300 members, the Historical Society serves long-time residents as well as recent arrivals, neighbors as well as those whose family roots are here. We welcome everyone to learn about the rich history along the beautiful Wallenpaupack Creek that links our Greene-Dreher community.
History of Peggy Bancroft Hall
Peggy Bancroft Hall and Museum was built in 1904 by the Patriotic Order Sons of America of South Sterling. The P. O. S. of A. is a fraternal organization founded in Philadelphia in 1847 to instill patriotism and pride in our country and community. The South Sterling chapter, called Washington Camp 422, was formed in 1889, one of 10 chapters organized in Wayne County and the only one to build its own meeting hall. The original building had gas-lit wall sconces, a wood stove, and a gravity-fed water system from a spring located on the hillside behind the building. P.O.S. of A. members hosted a variety of community activities at the Hall, such as oyster suppers, and their brass band performed at patriotic and school events, such as Decoration Day, Independence Day, and Columbus Day. They distributed American flags to local schools and Scout Troops, and helped rally the community during World War I. For nearly sixty years, the they played an important role in promoting patriotism and strengthening social ties in our rural community. Washington Camp 422 was dissolved in 1947, and the building was sold to the Women’s Society of Christian Service of the South Sterling Methodist Episcopal Church, who used it for quilting bees, church suppers and bazaars. In 2006 the Greene-Dreher Historical Society acquired the building and has preserved its legacy as a community gathering place. Because of the prominence of the P.O.S. of A. in the community, and the architectural integrity of the building, Peggy Bancroft Hall is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.