The Union Methodist Protestant Church was built at Angels Corners in 1888. The tall, narrow building had nine-over-six sash windows and a large bell-tower topped with a modest spire. Sunday School classes for children were held on the top floor in the afternoon, and church services were held in the evening. A five-octave pump organ accompanied the choir. The small congregation, never totaling more than about 30 families, was served by a minister who had to travel some distance, and after the service he would stay overnight with one of the families. With no electricity or running water, the building’s the only source of heat was a large woodstove in the back of the church room and a wood-burning kitchen range on the lower floor where, on occasion, the Ladies Aid would prepare and serve dinners.
Even though the homes of the parishioners were scattered far and near, our little church was well attended. The members all worked together so that financially we were able to meet all expenses with our socials, collections, bake sales, and dinners. During the summer months we held picnics in the beautiful hemlock grove next to the church, and there was everything a kid could desire—a cable swing fastened between two tall trees, long tables loaded with all sorts of luscious food at dinner and suppertime, a refreshment stand loaded with such goodies as peanuts, popcorn, homemade ice cream, and those long sticks of candy each with a ring on. And there was a bandstand where the South Sterling POS of A Band played for us quite often. —Alberta Carr Bird (1898–1997)
In 1916, the Ladies Aid completed a fundraising project that sparked interest far beyond its borders—a Friendship Quilt with more than 500 names embroidered on it, some of friends and family members from as far away as Montana and Colorado. Each person paid ten cents to have their name embroidered on the quilt, for a total of $50. The quilt took about three years to complete. Among the names on the quilt are those of the 32 women who worked together so diligently to complete the project, including Iva Swartz Burrus, president of the Society, Ella Hazelton Akers, Matilda Light Akers, Emeline Hazelton Angel, Rose Angel, Elizabeth Bartleson, Mary Ann Phillips Bartleson, Eleanore Bird, Ida Brundage, Sarah Burrus, Belle Hazelton Ferguson, Mary Gilpin, Eleanor Angel Hause, Lois Carlin Hause, Mary “Mamie” Campbell Hause, Clara Francis Hause, Louisa Hazelton, Sarah Oney Hazelton, Etta Green, Lucinda Kerr, Maria Ehrhardt Martin, and Mary Phillips Nevin.
The only quilt known to have been made by the Union Ladies Aid is a Signature Quilt completed around 1916. Intended as a means to raise funds for the church, the quilt includes approximately 500 names and took about three years to complete. Each person would have paid ten cents to have their name embroidered on the quilt, for a total of $50.
By the 1930 the congregation had dwindled, and services were held only during the summer months when the dirt roads were passable. By 1940 the church closed and was sold and dismantled.