The Greentown Cemetery was established when the older Kipptown Cemetery was deemed full. The Greentown Cemetery Association was established in 1917, and the cemetery is the final resting place for many residents who settled in Greentown and Promised Land in the mid- to late 1800s. In 1926, four-and-a-half acres of land was deeded to the Association by Emmet and Augusta Barkman to create the new cemetery. The earliest death date recorded on a grave marker is for their son, Marshall Barkman, in 1910. Another marker that was erected soon after the cemetery was created is that of Private Ernest Wolff, who was killed in action during World War 1. He was interred in the Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery, and his family erected a marker in his memory in the Greentown Cemetery. Today the cemetery is owned and maintained with perpetual care by the Greentown Cemetery Association.